Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

Henrico County's
History

Brookland
District Sites

 >All Sites

Fairfield
District Sites

Three Chopt
District Sites

Tuckahoe
District Sites

Varina
District Sites

Links

Site Map


Brookland District Historic Sites - All Sites

Bethlehem Baptist Church

Bethlehem Baptist Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

In 1828, nine people organized a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse, five miles from the Richmond city limits. Students from the Virginia Baptist Seminary, now the University of Richmond, helped it become the Bethlehem Baptist Church. The church received its charter on May 31, 1838 and built a new structure in 1839. It reportedly served as a first aid station during the Civil War, burned about 1870 and was rebuilt. A brick Gothic style church opened on July 25, 1909. On November 3, 1920, this structure burned. Members dedicated the present building, located on Penick Road, on November 6, 1921.

  • Open during public services.
  • (County of Henrico,1995 (HC3))


>Back to Top<




Courtney Road Service Station

Courtney Road Service Station in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

This "house with a canopy style" station was built around 1925 when there was an increase in cars, improved roads, and a decrease in the cost of gas. In 1940, Richmond Telephone directory listed the site as the "Friendly Service Station". Owned by the Barlow family, locals recall the station store being operated by Mr. Wiltshire. The County of Henrico had the station restored and it is now located on the corner of Courtney Road and Mountain Road for public display.

  • This is owned by the County of Henrico, and open only for special events.
  • (County of Henrico)


>Back to Top<




Forest Lodge Cupola

Forest Lodge Cupola in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Captain John Cussons, a native Englishman, confederate scout, author, and entrepreneur married Mrs. Benjamin Allen (after whose family Glen Allen was named). He settled here after the Civil War and established a printing company. In 1881, he built a six story fashionable resort hotel with over 100 elaborately decorated rooms known as Forest Lodge adjacent to the railroad tracts. The resort hotel occupied 1000 acres, which also boasted a hunting preserve, lakes, boathouses, gardens, parklands, and an amphitheater. Forest Lodge was never the success it was hoped it would be, and in later years served first as a boarding house, and later as apartments. The parklands reverted to woods. Forest Lodge was demolished in 1989 due to development plans. The County of Henrico restored the top cupola, all that remained of the building, and it is now located on the corner of Mountain Road and Old Washington Highway.

  • Available for viewing from the outside.
  • (County of Henrico, November 2003 HCHS newsletter)


>Back to Top<




Glen Allen School

Glen Allen School in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

In 1886, Elizabeth Jane Holladay established the first Glen Allen School when she began teaching children in her home. In 1889, the school was moved to a one room building on Mountain Road. It was relocated to Old Washington Highway in 1911. It was constructed at a cost of $10,000. It had no central heating or indoor plumbing. Between 1914 and 1925 three wings were added. In the 1930's an auditorium, gymnasium and home economics cottage were constructed. The school ended operation in 1978. In 1999, it re-opened as the Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen.

  • Open to the public.
  • (County of Henrico)


>Back to Top<




Meadow Farm Museum

Meadow Farm Museum in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

In 1713 William Sheppard acquired the property of Meadow Farm by land grant. Not much is known about the use of the property until Williamís great-grandson, Mosby Sheppard, built the existing house in 1810. Later the property was acquired by Dr. John Mosby Sheppard.

Seven generations of the Sheppard family lived at Meadow Farm.

The history of the property has been well documented.

From this site, Tom and Pharoah, Sheppard family slaves, warned Mosby Sheppard of a proposed slave rebellion on August 30, 1800, later known as Gabriel's Rebellion.

During a Civil War raid, family legend has it that the Union Major General George Armstrong Custis tied his horse to a cedar tree in front of the farmhouse.

In addition, American Indian sites, that predate the Sheppard family ownership, have been identified on the property.

In 1974 Meadow Farm was listed on the Virginia Landmark Registry and the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1975, Elizabeth Adam Crump, wife of the late Adjutant General of Virginia, Sheppard Crump, donated the property of Meadow Farm to the County of Henrico and it was opened to the public as Meadow Farm Museum/ Crump Park in 1981.

Although restoration had been completed in the late 1970s to preserve and interpret Meadow Farm, damage from Hurricane Isabel in 2003 presented the County an opportunity to re-examine documents pertaining to the original house construction. Mosby Sheppard and his son John Sheppard built Meadow Farm in phases. Both men carefully documented the purchase of building materials and labor for work done between 1809 and 1858. During the restoration process, museum staff interpreted in detail the material, labor, and expense involved in constructing a home in 19th-century rural Virginia.

Meadow Farm is now interpreted as a living history farm and museum, presenting programs and exhibits on the culture of the rural South in the 1800ís. Costumed interpreters provide insight into the lives of Dr. John Mosby Sheppard and his family. On selected weekends, there are demonstrations of seasonal activities in the farmhouse, barn, doctorís office, blacksmith forge, fields, and pastures.

Some of the museum's event's are listed on our General Events page. More events may be found on the Department Of Recreation and Parks page of Henrico County government's website.

  • Open to the public.
  • (County of Henrico, Meadow Farm Museum, County of Henrico Div. Rec and Parks)


>Back to Top<




Walkerton Tavern

Walkerton Tavern in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Massachusetts native John Walker acquired a large tract of land on both sides of Mountain Road and had Walkerton built in 1825. Walkerton served as a tavern and was the twin of Walker's residence across the road. The tavern was equipped with a wine cellar, three ice houses, and a 20 horse stable to accommodate its guests. Some of the bricks were fired at Meadow Farm. Walkerton served as a tavern from 1828 to 1829 and again in 1853. The Hopkins family purchased the property in 1857 and lived there until 1941 when the building and grounds were sold to George and Ruth Bowles. The County of Henrico purchased the property in 1995 from S. Douglas Fleet who acquired it in 1986. Except for the few years it served as a place of lodging, Walkerton was primarily a private residence. However in addition to serving as a field hospital for wounded Union cavalrymen in 1864, the dwelling also functioned as a store, post office, and voting precinct.

  • This is owned by the County of Henrico, and open Mon-Fri 8-4:30 or on the weekend for special events, programs, and rentals.
  • (County of Henrico)


>Back to Top<




Brookland Sites: All Sites
Bethlehem Church | Courtney Road | Forest Lodge | Glen Allen | Meadow Farm | Walkerton

Home |Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS


© 2004-2017, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved