Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

Henrico County's
History

Brookland
District Sites

Fairfield
District Sites

Three Chopt
District Sites

Tuckahoe
District Sites

 >All
   Sites

Varina
District Sites

Links

Site Map


Tuckahoe District Historic Sites - All Sites

Log Cabin

Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Located on Gaskins Road, this "saddlebag" log structure, circa 19th century, is unique in Henrico, being of a form rarely encountered in eastern Virginia. The building consists of two separate units joined by a commonly shared chimney of crudely-made bricks laid up in random American bond. Inside is wide pine flooring roughly hewn square and saddle-notched at the corners. The interstices were originally chinked with mud, but this has been replaced with brown tinted cement. Any original glass in the windows has been removed. The land upon which the log cabin sits belonged to the prominent Wickham family through the 1800s who may have been the original owners.

  • Privately owned.
  • (Inventory of Early Architecture County of Henrico, Virginia)


>Back to Top<




Whichello

Whichello in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.

Located on River Road, this privately owned structure, also known as the "Tall House", stands today on a tract of land that belonged to the Randolph family of Tuckahoe in the early 19th century. Later a Frenchman named Druin acquired the land and passed it to his daughter Catherine, widow of Charles Woodward. In 1838, Catherine's daughter, Eliza Anne Woodward Winston, sold the property to Richard Whichello, who operated a tavern here. The present dwelling is said to have been erected in 1827 by Catherine Woodward, but it could have been built somewhat later by Whichello. Local tradition portrays Whichello as a greedy entrepreneur who supplemented his income by engaging his patrons in rigged games of chance. In 1850, a cattle drover murdered Whichello after he lost a large sum of money to him in a card game.

  • Privately owned.
  • (Inventory of Early Architecture County of Henrico, Virginia)


>Back to Top<




Tuckahoe Sites: All Sites
Log Cabin | Mankin

Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS



© 2004-2017, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved