Henrico County Historical Society
PO Box 90775   Henrico, VA 23273   (804)501-5682   hchsinfo@yahoo.com

Henrico County Historical Society's motto, which is Preserving the Past in the Present for the FutureSkipwith Academy in Three Chopt District, Henrico County, Virginia.Log Cabin in Tuckahoe District, Henrico County, Virginia.Mankin Mansion in Fairfield District, Henrico County, Virginia.Dorey Barn in Varina District, Henrico County, Virginia.Bethlehem Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.


Henrico County

Henrico County's
History

Brookland
District Sites

 >Bethlehem
   Church

Fairfield
District Sites

Three Chopt
District Sites

Tuckahoe
District Sites

Varina
District Sites

Links

Site Map


Brookland District Historic Sites - Bethlehem Baptist Church

Bethlehem Baptist Church in Brookland District, Henrico County, Virginia.

In 1828, nine people organized a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse, five miles from the Richmond city limits. Students from the Virginia Baptist Seminary, now the University of Richmond, helped it become the Bethlehem Baptist Church. The church received its charter on May 31, 1838 and built a new structure in 1839. It reportedly served as a first aid station during the Civil War, burned about 1870 and was rebuilt. A brick Gothic style church opened on July 25, 1909. On November 3, 1920, this structure burned. Members dedicated the present building, located on Penick Road, on November 6, 1921.

  • Open during public services.
  • (County of Henrico,1995 (HC3))


>Back to Top<



Brookland Sites: Bethlehem Church
Courtney Road | Forest Lodge | Glen Allen | Meadow Farm | Walkerton | All Sites

Home | Maps | Genealogy | Preservation | News | Membership | Shopping | HCHS



© 2004-2017, Henrico County Historical Society. All Rights Reserved